The Accredited Employer Work Visa, which is often shortened to AEWV, is a popular choice for skilled migrants who wish to live in New Zealand. This relatively new temporary visa allows skilled migrants to work for accredited employers in New Zealand for a set period of time. After their visa period is up, AEWV holders may also be eligible to apply for permanent New Zealand residency if they meet certain requirements.
If you’re interested in working in New Zealand and meet the criteria of this visa, then you may be able to apply for and be granted an AEWV. But first, you should fully understand what this visa is, how you can get it and what it allows you to do.
What Is The Accredited Employer Work Visa?
This visa was introduced in July 2022 and replaced the Essential Skills Work Visa. Similar to the visa it replaced, it allows workers from other countries to come and work in New Zealand if they have skills that are needed here.
To be eligible for this kind of visa, you must:
- Be offered a job by an accredited employer in New Zealand which has been approved a “job check” by Immigration New Zealand for this position.
- Meet the skill requirements for the position offered. These are the qualification and/or work experience required by INZ’s job check approval.
- Have a valid passport.
- Meet the typical health and character requirements for New Zealand visas.
You must also pay an application fee when you apply for the Accredited Employer Work Visa, which is around $750.
The maximum length of stay for this particular visa started at 3 years. However, from the 27th of November, 2023, the maximum length will be extended to 5 years.
How Can I Apply For An AEWV?
The application process for any kind of visa can be complex, so it is important to do things properly to improve your chances of being granted a visa. This process typically takes several weeks to complete.
Before you start, consider these tips for navigating the AEWV pathway:
- Start Planning Early. The AEWV application process can be confusing and time-consuming. If you want to apply for this visa, then start planning early and do things thoroughly. This will give you enough time to gather all of the required documentation and to submit your application before the deadline.
- Seek Professional Advice. A professional immigration adviser can help you throughout the Accredited Employer Work Visa application process. They can advise you on the eligibility requirements, the application process and the supporting documentation you need to provide. Understanding what you need to do to apply for a visa application can be difficult if you don’t know much about visa matters, so expert help is invaluable.
- Be Prepared To Wait. The application processing time for this kind of visa is usually around 50 weekdays. Although, the processing time can be longer or shorter depending on circumstances. Be prepared to wait patiently for your application to be seen and processed.
The specific steps involved in applying for an AEWV are as follows:
1. Find An Accredited Employer. To be eligible for this kind of visa, you’ll need to find an employer that is officially accredited and can hire workers with this visa. Not all New Zealand businesses are accredited.
2. Receive A Job Offer. Once you have found an accredited employer, you will need to receive a job offer from them.
3. Apply For An Accredited Employer Work Visa. Next, you can go through the application process and apply for your visa either online or through mail. You will need to submit an application form, supporting documentation and pay the application fee.
As mentioned, the entire application process can be time-consuming, so it’s important to do everything correctly the first time you do it. Working with an immigration advisor is a smart choice because they’ll help you do things right without making mistakes or forgetting important details.
4. Wait For Your AEWV Visa Application To Be Processed. Once you’ve successfully submitted your application, you must wait for it to be processed.
5. Receive Your AEWV. Once your application has been processed and hopefully approved, you will be issued your AEWV. You can then start planning your move to New Zealand.
Where Can I Learn More About My New Zealand Visa Opportunities?
This visa is a great choice for skilled migrants who want to live and work in this beautiful country. It offers a path to residency in New Zealand and a number of other benefits. If you are interested in applying for an AEWV, we invite you to speak with us at Visa Matters.
A work visa is a fantastic opportunity for skilled people like you to come and help improve New Zealand with your qualifications. Of course, you’ll need to fill out your application correctly and provide the right documents if you wish to be granted your own visa. Our team would love to help you in any way that we can.
Start an amazing new chapter in your life with assistance from Visa Matters.